Re: [113attendees] remote-inclusiveness (was: Re: hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds)

Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> Mon, 28 March 2022 08:28 UTC

From: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:27:58 +0100
Cc: Kyle Rose <krose@krose.org>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, 113attendees <113attendees@ietf.org>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Subject: Re: [113attendees] remote-inclusiveness (was: Re: hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds)

Hi Toerless

> On 28/03/2022, at 9:03 AM, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> wrote:
>
> These mail threads of course encourage primarily contrarian pondering.
> I think we do get more substantial understanding of the overall community
> opinion by those questionaires that JohnD started to do. Aka: it would be
> useful to have over time more question with the experience with the different
> type of get-togethers. As long as they cover relevnt questions. Such as
> usefulness or its opposite in the face of different audio qualities of a
> particular venue (such as a bar).
>
> Wrt to resisting more remote-inclusiveness: Its clear that if we do not have
> a group trying to push the envelope, we wouldn't have moved away from the
> local-only state we had 30 years ago. That's just human nature. And i am sure
> that if we would look back, we'll find enough evidence of participants rejecting
> even the idea of what we have achieved so far (with meetecho/gather) as impossible
> or undesirable back then.
>
> I have just seen outside of IETF over the decades a lot more remote-inclusive
> options that i think are also worth to explore for IETF. Sitting in a side-meeting
> room in the IETF and NOT having a remote participation option for example strikes
> me as particularily objectionable. Sitting in a bar and trying to get actual
> technical work done, but then not understanding anyone due to background noise
> equally so.

Side meetings are deliberately very different from other sessions as repeatedly stated by the IESG:

https://www.ietf.org/blog/public-side-meetings/

Significant effort has been put into improving the remote experience during IETF meetings but, for the reasons in that blog post, not side meetings.  While I understand your frustration regarding side meetings, an assessment of remote participation for the whole meeting based on an experience in a side meeting will never be fair and representative.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director