Re: [v6ops] Thoughts about wider operational input

"Philipp S. Tiesel" <phils@in-panik.de> Thu, 24 March 2022 12:24 UTC

From: "Philipp S. Tiesel" <phils@in-panik.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:24:21 +0100
To: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Thoughts about wider operational input

Hi,

as someone who has transitioned from academia and ISP land towards cloud and enterprise territory, I begin to realise that being representation through the vendors is a very problematic assumption. As usually ISPs have huge equipment footprints compared to enterprises, at least budget wise, it is much easier for them getting their needs addrsses at the vendors and, thus, being represented by vendors if they choose not to be present on their own.

Most enterprise networks, are far less technology driven that ISPs and get far less management attention.
For larger enterprises, a transition to IPv6 involves many internal teams to coordinate, it is more an organisational challenge than a technical challenge that is hard to drive without management attention. Pushing for IPv6 because of technological arguments won’t work – you need red flags it solves to get the necessary attention.

What can the IETF do to push IPv6 in the enterprise?
- Most effective would be to lobby to make IPv6 transition a hype topic.
  ISP and vendor lobby and sales could help.
- Second, actively engaging consulting firms and education them could push that too.
  There are a bunch of very good IPv6 consultants there, but getting an IPv6 expert from
  one of the usual large consulting companies is difficult.
- Third, reaching out to PaaS communities like Kubernetes or Cloud Foundry could help to
  improve the IPv6 support there and make these platforms spread the word about IPv6.
- Last, take a look at the IaaS providers and try to engage them here.
  IPv6 support from AWS got usable in 2021.
  GCP is fine for PoCs, but functionality still very limited.
  Azure's IPv6 support is IPv4 with 128bit addresses.

AVE!
  Philipp