Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es> Sat, 21 May 2016 21:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 23:34:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input
From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
To: ietf@ietf.org
References: <20160517181436.24852.58610.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com> <3945cc1f-3e99-0fcb-e983-ed2e46fa871c@nostrum.com> <CA+9kkMAWFQDrT6WqTGz=6LcDiBkg+iuLEuSzeSqfZA4-J-tvZg@mail.gmail.com> <CABcZeBMGpKFiA78iQDFa5xaM0r0q_3LfLO_JKxaWJ9CBUTeaLg@mail.gmail.com> <C5B9F952-FEFC-4B73-9AC6-E050F59A74CB@consulintel.es> <5740A90E.2030200@gmail.com> <EC9B10DE-FB84-48EC-BEDE-2C228D8FADEB@krsek.cz> <5740BBA9.3040106@gmail.com>

Totally agree with you regarding the diversity issues, but we aren’t going, neither should, to sort out them via the venue-selection criteria. This is an internal IETF issue that we need to resolve internally.

I will love the IETF to have the power to change rules in countries that don’t respect the human rights, and if that was the case, I will be the first asking not to go to Singapore or whatever place, including (just to name a few additional aspects and not just diversity respect) those that still keep death penalty, allow people to carry guns, etc. (just to mention a few, and I’m sure other folks can disagree with me).

But unfortunately, I don’t think the IETF has this power, and our decisions to go or not, to a given venue because all those aspects, will not change the rules, or even have a minimal impact.

Saludos,
Jordi