Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 17 May 2016 19:19 UTC

Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input
To: venue-selection@ietf.org, IETF list <ietf@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 14:19:16 -0500

On 5/17/16 13:14, IAOC Chair wrote:
> The IAOC meetings committee reviewed the options for IETF 100, including investigating costs and possibilities of moving the meeting to a different location.  In keeping with the updated process outlined below, they checked with official advisory sources and consulted with specialty travel services, frequent travelers, and local representatives about the concerns that have been raised.  The input received from those sources is consistent with the text on http://travel.state.gov [1].
>
>  From that research, at a strictly practical level, the IAOC believes that it is possible to have a successful meeting in Singapore.  The IAOC proposes that holding the meeting in Singapore is the best option for IETF 100 at this time.
>
> Next Step:
>
> The IAOC would like to hear from the community by June 1st, 2016 on barriers to holding a successful meeting in Singapore. Responses should be directed to venue-selection@ietf.org

I have a hard time making a valid evaluation of this topic. I suspect
many people who will weigh in over the next few weeks are in a similar
situation, even if they don't realize it. I include the IAOC in this
characterization.

It is very difficult to interpret the effect of potentially oppressive
environments on the potentially oppressed if you are not a member of
that group. It would be presumptuous for a majority straight population
to make this decision on behalf of those people actually impacted.

So I'm going to withhold expressing support for or opposition to the
proposed course of action until we hear from GLBTQ IETFers in light of
the information the IAOC is offering as rationale for continuing to
pursue Singapore as a venue.

But to be clear: I will almost certainly forgo attending a meeting at
which any of my GLBTQ colleagues felt unwelcome. I would actively
encourage others to adopt the same stance. Whether this forms a barrier
to a successful meeting is up for debate; however, It would almost
certainly be a setback for the working groups I chair.

/a