Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es> Thu, 26 May 2016 08:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:52:14 +0200
Subject: Re: IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input
From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
References: <20160524210344.64781.qmail@ary.lan> <5f7621d7-326d-3d94-0b78-5a463dd6c496@gmail.com> <1940321298.573455.1464202942241.JavaMail.yahoo@mail.yahoo.com> <08f1ee7c-eb15-77bf-9e7e-5a164e5a38f9@gmail.com> <CAPt1N1mOMf9u+CXwhrjtD9R7FJOq1=6N+T3zHKJHVfSdy0t_Uw@mail.gmail.com> <d33789e4-caf5-21be-e4b1-a7d3065d43fe@gmail.com> <CAPt1N1mhK=p1YboDnKE5xF+gdMdXkOZBqbpaodkaq8jR0Lophw@mail.gmail.com> <75ca0a38-0807-a91f-5b2a-bab8f6fc7042@gmail.com> <alpine.LRH.2.20.1605251647560.27848@bofh.nohats.ca> <CAKe6YvMAWdqZdmz4p1Vt8rg8aujow6ushtg30K2HvdneK4hw6Q@mail.gmail.com> <C5C032B1-1106-423C-A34D-4BEE0BBC1B32@gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.2.02.1605260950470.28372@uplift.swm.pp.se>

I believe everyone knows this but just in case: Actually, even having a visa to US doesn’t mean that you will be allowed to enter, even can be arrested and sent to jail just for trying if they believe that you lied in the visa process.

I want to explain one of the situations I’ve been and how this was EXPLAINED to me in a very rude way by an US immigration officer. Some years ago, traveling via Miami to Curacao for some LACNIC events, I was asked at the Miami immigration desk to go to a separate room for some special questioning. This happened to me in several consecutive trips to Curacao and BACK to my home, no sense at all. In all those situations, I was about to lose my next flight, specially one of the times, going back to home, which will had mean waiting for 24 hours. The immigration officers told me that I’m in a kind of third security check level (don’t recall exact wording).

I must say that all those interrogations were lacking of any kind of respect and threatening me up to the point of getting really afraid, some times even destroying parts of my belongings in my carry-on/computer bag. By the way, my TSA lock has been destroyed also several times despite it is a TSA so they have the key to open it without the need to destroying it, no sense at all, and I never got paid for it, despite I claimed.

The last time I got this “special” nasty interview, the last official, the one stamping my passport, was Spanish speaking so I took the opportunity, considering it will be a more “relaxed” chat, to ask him, because I was traveling to/thru US so much, if it makes sense for me to obtain a multi-entry visa in the Madrid embassy, to avoid those situations, etc. He was crazy rude, increase his voice level, and told me “you’re a guest even if you obtain a visa, and we will be able to put you in the jail even having a visa, every time you try to come to US, because we will always find a reason for that, you always have something to hide and we will always find a lie in your entry form, even just for making this kind of questions, I’m seriously considering arresting you right now”. So nice!

By the way, my family name is not common and thus not related to any “possible” well-known terrorist, delinquent, narco or anything like that, so not any possible confusion (in fact I asked if that was the case).

Remember that I was not visiting US, just traveling to a third country, which in US requires being able to visit US, while in many other countries, if you don’t need to go into the country, you don’t need to clear immigration. This is per se, absolutely ridiculous, but this is another topic for debate.

Doing IPv6 trainings and consultancy, I’ve been already in over 110 countries, many of them several times. I can say that, without any doubt, my worst experiences at immigration time, have always been when traveling to US.

Many animals receive a much better treatment that humans in some countries immigration desks, only because they carry a gun.

Regards,
Jordi