Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 11 March 2020 10:11 UTC

Subject: Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:11:01 +0100

Le 10/03/2020 à 20:14, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :
> I don't think this is right.
>
> Not having an official ban from the Canada authorities makes
> impossible to get a refund for:

I suspect Canada authority has no ban on travel because WHO (World
Health Organisation, and 'OMS' in French) has not advised so.

The March 7th advice from WHO with respect to travel can be digged out
of the web site.  A phrase says "We must stop, contain, control, delay
and reduce the impact of this virus at every opportunity. Every person
has the capacity to contribute, to protect themselves, to protect
others, whether in the home, the community, the healthcare system, the
workplace or the transport system."

As I read it, they put the responsibility on individuals, who would in
turn expect decision responsibility from them.  Could be a loop.

A possible way to scape from the loop would be if Canada told WHO they
need a decision.  Canada could need a decision because there are some
problems.  Some of the problems relate to individuals and small and
medium enterprise being hit with risk of loosing money, effectively
another way to 'kill' SMEs.

That matter is as urgent as the other medical needs, because if not
dealt with in time it might bite back badly.

That is a matter between Canada and WHO.

Canada is a representative organisation, their leaders represent
majorities.  A Canadian should contact Canada.  I suppose only Canadians
could contact Canada gov't.  I suppose travellers to Canada are not
Canadians.  This is a problem.

A way to escape this problem might be a need to contact directly WHO,
and skip Canada.

The press contact at WHO about this matter is:
Tarik Jasarevic <jasarevict@who.int>

If you make contact, I am ready to co-sign, because I think I share the
feeling of your IETF situation as you present it.

Alex