Re: [rtcweb] confirming sense of the room: mti codec

Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com> Mon, 08 December 2014 23:28 UTC

From: Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com>
To: Maire Reavy <mdr@reavy.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 23:28:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.252]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] confirming sense of the room: mti codec

We are not re-opening this discussion. This list discussion is the decision making process.

What took place in Honolulu was only a consensus hum of those present in the room.

In IETF all decisions are made on the list and it was clearly stated by the chair in Honolulu that the decision would need to be endorsed on the list.

On 1) We have committed to an MTI video codec

I note the small word "an".

If we decide on two MTI video codecs then we have clearly failed to meet this commitment.

On 3) This is the only proposal that gets support from both camps

As David pointed out we are not in two monolithic camps (this isn't the cold war here). Different companies and different individuals have different positions for different reasons. The fact that some people who might have been perceived as being in "one camp" have found a way to agree to a "compromise" based upon a definition that doesn't force them in their product to implement what they don't agree to implement does not mean that the fundamental reason behind the difficulty in reaching consensus on MTI video codecs by those whose products would be forced to implement both codecs has changed.

It's very easy to agree to someone else to have to do something that you are not willing to do yourself.

Andrew