[rtcweb] IETF requirements for mandatory technologies

Ron <ron@debian.org> Fri, 20 December 2013 23:43 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 10:12:54 +1030
From: Ron <ron@debian.org>
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: [rtcweb] IETF requirements for mandatory technologies

Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:46:24PM +0000, Stephan Wenger wrote:
> Ron,
>
> On 12/20/13, 1:39 PM, "Ron" <ron@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >[Š]
> >And it would also seem to be subject to the IETF requirement that security
> >technologies MUST be strictly RF.
>
> There is no such requirement.  The only requirement that I recall related
> to security technologies is that, whenever security is mandated, that
> there MUST be at least one RF security technology be mandated.  Optional
> other security technologies can be royalty bearing or otherwise encumbered.

Sorry, I thought the context there was clear, but I was indeed only referring
to mandatory requirements.  Optional things do seem to be in a different boat
there for several reasons that I don't think are in dispute.

It is indeed *all* mandatory technologies though, not just "at least one".

  An IETF consensus has developed that no mandatory-to-implement security
  technology can be specified in an IETF specification unless it has no
  known IPR claims against it or a royalty-free license is available ...

You're correct if they are optional, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

> Also please note that security is the one single exception we currently
> have in the IETF where there exists an actual licensing requirement.  I
> would argue very strongly against creating another such precedence.

It's ok, I'm not arguing here for the expansion of this (or any other
requirement) -- I'm trying to get to the bottom of the rationale for
dodging the other already existing requirements, for which there seem
to be no such exceptions granted at all, and for the disclosures at
least, rather explicit "no excuses" requirements.

In the case of AES, I would assume that any existing IPR, should there
have been any, would have been required to be reported against the draft
that proposed mandating it, even by citation alone, and would have then
required the WG to pick some other option that wasn't so encumbered.
Even if there was no contributor in that case with an obligation to
disclose, the WG still had an extra obligation to ensure it was RF
(which obviously then makes a whole range of things much simpler, and
adds some practical liberties to pragmatically 'cut some corners', since
they could always be easily remedied after the fact if needed).

Here we have something that is proposed to be even more mandatory than
AES was, by people who haven't shown which IETF requirement gives them
an excuse not to disclose, and which clearly doesn't get the benefit of
any of the relaxations the IETF offers for RF technology.

I don't see how making some technology a strictly required IETF standard
by the back door path of deferring to a citation can exempt it from all
of the other normal requirements -- without driving a bulldozer through
both the spirit and the letter of those requirements.

Unless somebody can explain that, it's hard to see how this group could
do anything but reject that technology as mandatory, or face the shame
of having the broader IETF do that for us when it goes up for review.
And I'd like to not be in the shamed bunch when I decide how to answer
the survey questions that the chairs have posed :)  So I'm trying hard
to find out if there really is something I'm missing here.

  Cheers,
  Ron