Re: [rtcweb] Unacceptable - (Re: Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives)

John Leslie <john@jlc.net> Mon, 09 December 2013 18:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 13:02:40 -0500
From: John Leslie <john@jlc.net>
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Unacceptable - (Re: Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives)

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 12/9/2013 9:24 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>> The first question is ?Are you in favor of this option
>> [Yes/No/Acceptable]:?. These three levels allow you to indicate that
>> you: Yes= I would be fine with the WG choosing this option. No = I
>> really don?t favor this, and it should not be picked. Acceptable = I can
>> live with this option but I prefer something else to be picked
>
> Survey methodology remains trickier than anyone would like:  The set of
> choices is unbalanced.
>
> In effect, two of the three choices say that a choice is ok and only one
> says it isn't.

   I must agree with Dave that the difference between "Acceptable" and
"Yes" is a bit ambiguous. I would have recommended a simple Yes/No/blank.
But I don't believe Dave raises an issue we need to address.

> You also need a 'don't care' choice.

   Blank is clearly a legal choice.

> Given the intent of 'acceptable', what you need is something like:
>
>    Yes
>    Prefer yes
>    Don't care
>    Prefer no
>    No

   Again, I don't think we need to follow Dave's advice (even if I would
be more comfortable with those choices).

--
John Leslie <john@jlc.net>