Re: [rtcweb] Stephan Wenger's choices

Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Sat, 28 December 2013 21:51 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 22:50:55 +0100
From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Stephan Wenger's choices

On 2013-12-28 22:24, Ron wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:20:28AM -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>> Even if we mandate H.261, there is a reasonable chance of their
>> expectations being thwarted, since they might well expect that
>> the quality of video would be comparable, yet it will not.
> You don't get much more thwarted than "no video for you", the only
> direction from there is up.  Given a device with a ~4 inch screen,
> viewed from a foot or two away, possibly in open daylight, maybe
> even while bouncing around on a bus or train or while walking,
> maybe with a bunch of scratches on the screen or a plastic cover,
> there's a fair bet that a significant percentage of viewers wouldn't
> be able to pick the difference between it and a perfectly lossless
> image stream anyway.
>
> Is it going to be worse than NTSC television?  How many people were
> happy enough to keep buying and watching those?  How many still
> would if it was all that they could get?
H.261 has only CIF and QCIF formats defined. Modern cameras tend to not
support these formats anymore, more often delivering formats like QVGA ,
VGA and various wide screen formats. And applications adapt to these
modern cameras.
Using H.261 sometimes and modern codec sometimes will create situations
when you will get unpleasant compromises in video formats, such as
cropped pictures, or pictures with unused margins, or processing-costly
remapping that also reduces quality.

That together with the low quality makes it not desirable.

Gunnar