Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org> Wed, 26 October 2022 22:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:09:00 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: last-call@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

   Hi Brian,

> Valery,
>
> I'm not commenting further on the PR action as such. We are a diverse
> group of people and many here are not native speakers of the language.
> I suggest that using sarcasm or satire in this group is an ineffective
> and confusing method. If half the audience takes the sarcasm or the
> satire seriously, the argument will cancel itself out.

   I have come to that conclusion as well. To some people whose first
language
is not English it may be hard to discern parody from seriousness and we
are,
as you note, a diverse group.

   That said, one of the main beefs against me is the two April Fools
I-Ds I did.
While I admit that there are probably cultures who are present in the
IETF who
do not participate in or "get" the idea of April Fools, it should be
noted that
the main people complaining about them-- and erroneously taking them as
serious proposals-- were not from those communities. So I'm pretty sure that
they intentionally dismissed the obvious parody and sarcasm (pranks, in the
spirit of the day) in order to paint me as a racist and a bad person.
And that
says more about their character than mine.

   Maybe we should just do away with the April Fools document tradition as
well. We haven't have a good one since the Evil Bit (the last one on the
"protocol police" was really lame) and it doesn't seem like humor is part
of the IETF anymore. Sigh.

   regards,

   Dan.