Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org> Fri, 07 August 2020 18:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 11:43:16 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Subject: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language
To: Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>
Cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
References: <5692e18e-afbb-9294-1074-3b81dafe8803@network-heretics.com> <59C4CA26-A1EB-4CF4-B973-BC2BBF53A094@gmail.com> <CAL02cgTZt-9+QWPT1aWXcOgpEwuNV2uHnVi5dGm7V5y_8_U1SQ@mail.gmail.com> <0cceb0f2-b5fe-a194-7ce8-68cc537f9cd1@lounge.org> <CAL02cgTV-cfTPO2wrKz0H2E=FLhagu-qs7fwx6jXeJDH-2cSHA@mail.gmail.com> <6fc4abe2-5343-e625-f2e7-ecfb52f91764@lounge.org> <CAL02cgR1wa8ssgsiLaG+uFKOh+7xZGuWtmxWa9HY5y+6pnRYLw@mail.gmail.com>

   Hi Richard,

On 8/7/20 10:35 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I'll just call out a couple points here:
>
> 1. The sentiment I'm expressing here is not based on the hypothetical
> offense of some abstract, otherized group.  I am articulating actual
> feedback from actual people -- doing actual good work at IETF -- who
> are seriously questioning whether to just give up on the IETF as a
> result of this thread.  One person's "offense-by-proxy" is another
> person's "standing up for the little guy".

   I received actual feedback from actual people who claimed they were
harmed by my first couple emails on the subject. What was the harm? One
was that this person was considering blocking me in his email filter
(i.e. putting me in a "denylist") because of my statements. The
harm would be to the IETF because it would prevent the kinds of fruitful
technical discussions that I had had with this person in the past.

   Now, that's the kind of thing an emotionally abusive person does. It's
"do what I say or you'll force me to do something you'll regret and it
will be all your fault". That's messed-up and I don't put up with those
kind of mind games. So while I too received real actual feedback from
real actual people I dismissed it.

   Your actual feedback sounds like the same sorts of mind games-- "if
this discussion continues I'll give up on the IETF and you'll regret
it!"

> 2. If you think that by virtue of being a white, American, male,
> long-time IETF participant, you are not in an in-group for this list,
> you are incredibly blind to your privilege.

   Oh please, spare me the white male privilege schtick. We both know
what we are talking about and that is the discussion on
draft-knodel-terminology and whether ON THAT TOPIC you are in the
"in crowd" or the "out crowd".

   You know what else is privileged? Company affiliation! I noticed my
opinion at IETF was discounted considerably when I left Cisco for a
start-up. Not part of the influential crowd anymore. So I'm keenly
aware of privilege at the IETF, don't worry about that.

> 3. You keep demanding evidence, even after several people have agreed
> there is a problem here.  There's a word for this style of debate:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

   Oh, so several people agreeing closes off discussion, no evidence needed,
just a "I'm standing up for the little guy".

   I guess those several people are in the "in crowd", the privileged ones.
They are so privileged they merely need to refer to their existence to
squelch debate. Impressive!

   DNH.