Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 23 July 2020 18:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 20:40:12 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

I think this document should become an indificual submission draft/RFC. It is a
good socio-linguistic research/position paper, but if we wold run it through a work
group process we would excude a lot of community members that are not interested
or fear getting into this type of socially critical discussions and we could get
 arbitrary ratholing about details from other community members.

IMHO The actual work to be done to suggest a process for us would best be in a new
document that really only needs to be scoped on two simple questions:

Abstract:

This document discussses:

  I)  How can we make new work product (RFC) use words that are not gratuitous
      metaphores without so significanty improving readability as to outweigh
      possible negative connotations of the metaphores ?

  II) How can we agree to as few a possible, consistent replacements for words falling into I)

For examples and justification see <individual-submission-doc>

/Abstract

Example for I): We should have a process that would also be able to cope with
words accepted to be problematic enough even if from different contexts:
   "kill" command in unix comes to mind
   "red" and "black" in accounting comes to mind

For I): I am mostly worried about as few as possible == consistent replacement words.

For something like blacklist/whitelist i think its eay to randomnly select a single
replacement. My random choice would be denylist/permitlist

For master/slave it seems more difficult:

In 2018, Python replaced uses of the term "master" variously with "main", "parent", and "server"; and "slave" with "worker", "child", and "helper", depending on the context.

Aka: these type of replacements are where the real problem will lie.

I would propose our process includes to capture/summarize all replacments/choices
we make on some page (like RFC editor abbreviations page). Maybe a wiki:
outlining reasons for specific replacement word choices and also pointing which
older RFCs (which we can't change anymore) these should be equivalent...

Cheers
    Toerless