Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Fri, 24 July 2020 13:36 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
Subject: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:36:19 -0400
Cc: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, ietf@ietf.org
To: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>

The impact of simply reading the terms master and slave over and over, is perhaps proportional to the impact slavery has had directly on a persons life (e.g., the racism that continues to exist today). So it's not surprising that some of us might not have recognized the impact those terms had on others who have had different life experiences.

Thanks,
Chris.